Hutcheon Mearns are supporting an upstream oil and gas operator to source a Tax Accountant, located in Aberdeen. The Tax Accountant reports into the Tax Manager and assists / supports the Tax Manager with their overall responsibility for taxes. The successful candidate will have some knowledge of ring fence taxation as applicable to a Group of Upstream Energy Companies and be either a qualified accountant and / or a member of the Institute of Taxation.
The group is dynamic and growing so there are fantastic career development and learning opportunities. Although the role is initially focussed on compliance there will be the opportunity to support the Tax Manager on M&A projects.
- Assist the Tax manager where appropriate with project-based M&A work including reviewing economic models, structuring work and review of Sale and Purchase Agreements
- Assist the Tax manager with tax planning to ensure optimum utilisation of tax attributes across the group
- Other Ad hoc advisory for example, for contracts, decommissioning, finance, and economics departments.
- Prepare and maintain documentation to support the wider tax reporting obligations of the Group including Senior Accounting Officer and the Corporate Criminal Offence
- Prepare the UK Corporate Tax returns of the UK Group for Tax Manager review
- Prepare the PRT returns for Tax Manager Review
- Other compliance including, for example, EITI Filings, EU Directive, Country by Country Reporting and Schedule 23 Data Holder return
- Prepare the quarterly tax provisions of the Group and prepare tax disclosures
- Prepare statutory tax disclosures and provisions of the UK Group of companies
- Keep abreast of technical developments
- Keep abreast of developments and current issues by following industry wide bodies, for example, O&GUK and UKOITC and attend where required to
- Degree and qualified accountant and / or a member of the Institute of Taxation
- Requires detailed technical knowledge of Tax accounting
- Attention to detail, analytical and logical mindset
- Self-motivated and quick learner able to operate with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills with proven ability to build networks and influence a broad range of professionals
- Commercial awareness and appreciation of the impact of accounting decisions on other aspects of the upstream business
- Flexibility and ability to juggle several demands at once
- Team player